Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Homemade Chicken Pot Pie




I get quite a few people that call me up for this recipe so its about time I post it! Its easy, cheap & very filling ... just like all my other recipes :) I eyeball this one when it comes to how much of everything so I will post the recipe but put to the side what I do differently.


1 Box of Pillsbury Pie Crust (found in the section with the rolls/biscuits)
1/3 cup Butter (I have used "I cant believe its not butter" but real butter is always tasty!)
1/3 cup Flour
1/2 tspn Salt (I do 3 pinches)
1/4 tspn Pepper (I do 4 pinches)
1 cup Chicken Broth
1/2 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1/2 cup Milk
2 Chicken Breasts boiled & shredded
(I boil my chicken with a bullion cube, garlic salt & pepper or if I'm pressed for time I will shred up a rotisserie from the store)
2 cups of frozen mixed veggies (the carrot, corn, green bean & peas blend)
1/2 large onion chopped

Heat oven to 425
Pull out pie crust - set packages out so they get to room temp
Get out a big pot
In the pot melt the butter then add the onion, stir until onions are soft.
Add Chicken Broth, Milk, Salt & Pepper, Flour, Cream of Mushroom until thick & bubbly. Throw in Veggies & Chicken, stir. Do NOT keep cooking. Pull pot off the heat. Lay out pie dough in the pie dish, fill it up leaving 1 inch from the top. Cover with other pie dough mushing the corners all together so there are no holes. Do NOT poke a hole in the top of the pie or you will have a messy oven! Bake 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, this is a must.

If you have extra filling I always save it & the kids have it for lunch the next day! If you have a baby who eats mushy foods, I use to puree this filling and spoon feed it to my kids - They LOVED it!

*** This is what I do differently ... the milk/broth/crm of mshrm combo is what makes the consistency of the filling. If you like it runny then add a little more of each liquid. If you like it thicker then add a little more crm of mshrm & flour. I start adding a little of everything until I get the consistency I like. After I add more, if it looks like I need more chicken or veggies I will eyeball it until theres equal parts of everything. You CANNOT mess up the flavor at all by doing this. If it tastes a little too rich then add some more milk! ***



1 comment: