Sunday, March 28, 2010

Eggs Benedict

I always disliked this dish, up until last year. I took an amazing trip to Chicago and tasted some of the best food Ive ever had. For brunch one day we went to Logan Square and ate at Lula's Cafe. One of the most unique restaurants Ive experienced. They change the menu daily and the food is off the charts! I opted for the Eggs Benedict, the way they described it on the menu made it sound like heaven. From that point on Ive wanted more... I have yet to find any other place that makes this dish like Lula's Cafe. I attempted it this morning and it came out amazing but again, not like Lula's!!



2 Eggs - Poached
2 Slices of Canadian Bacon - Heated in a pan
Hollandaise Sauce - Recipe below
1 English Muffin - Toasted

I made a simple Hollandaise Sauce I found online :
3 Egg yolks - Separate in your hand, its easier
1/2 Cup Butter - Real butter
1 1/2 tbsp Lemon Juice - If you like your sauce more bitter add more lemon juice
1/8 tsp Salt
Dash Cayenne (or) some hot sauce of choice
2 Tbsp hot water


Melt the butter in a pan until its foamy. While that's heating, put egg yolk/Lemon Juice/Salt/Cayenne pepper or hot sauce in a bowl. Mix with a whisk until blended. Once butter is melted add it to the egg mixture, mix with whisk until blended. Put egg mix into the pot the butter was melted in and keep whisking in pot while on Low heat. After a few minutes the sauce will become thick. Be careful because you want it heated just right, it can go from creamy to actually being cooked (which you don't want) in a matter of a few seconds. If you notice that it turns a little curdled, immediately take it off heat and add another Tbs of hot water to it. Your sauce will be saved!


My thing with this was time management. Timing everything perfectly so its still warm when I go to eat it. I prepped my english muffins in the toaster, put the ham in a pan for heating on Low. Started my water for poaching while making the sauce. Once my sauce was made I poached the eggs. It all came together perfectly! I was so pleased with this recipe and will make it again and again!


I hear poaching an egg is hard, I didn't think so. They say to swirl the water before dumping the egg in. I tried not swirling & swirling the water, I much preferred NOT swirling. Bring the water to a boil but not a rolling boil. Set timer for 3min for a runny yoke, 4min for a harder yoke once you dump the egg in. Comes out great!

No comments:

Post a Comment